8.13.2008

Isaac Hayes R.I.P.

I'm not going to go too in depth about how Isaac Hayes was one of my favorite singers or anything (even though he was) because there's already dozens of epitaphs out there already and I'm sure that most of them are much better than anything I could write.

I'll just simply say that I was deeply saddened to hear that he had died.

I think it's a shame that he's more famous today as being the voice of Chef from South Park rather than the guy who co-wrote Sam & Dave's "Soul Man." Or as the guy who released the phenomenal Hot Buttered Soul album in 1969. Or as the first African American to receive an Oscar for non-acting work (Best Original Song in 1971 for "Theme From Shaft"). But it's a better legacy than most I guess. It's fitting I suppose considering that Isaac last #1 single was his song "Chocolate Salty Balls," which he recorded as Chef for the Chef Aid soundtrack from South Park in 1995.

Why can I say? The world just got a little less funky, people.

No comments: