11.29.2009

the many moods of larrydigital, pt. 19

To download podcast from the iTunes Store: Click here.

Finally, a new episode. Sorry for the delay. I normally try to have a new podcast out every month or at the very least every other month but I had some technical difficulties that prevented me from posting a new podcast for a while. Much thanks to Mr. Neville Premdas for his assistance in clearing things up.

One thing that irritates me about making these podcasts is that I put so much time and effort into each one only to realize after I publish it that there are things I forgot to include. For example, for Episode 19: The Sound of Young America, I neglected to mention that "The Sound of Young America" was actually the slogan for Motown Records during much of their existence. The other subsidiaries mentioned in the podcast, Tamla Records and Gordy Records, had their own slogans as well, "The Sound that makes the world go 'round" and "It's What's in the Grooves that Counts," respectively.

Also, while I began the podcast with the intent of celebrating most of Motown's 50 year history, I noticed that I mostly focused on those middle years, from the mid-60s to the late 70s. Which, if you're familiar with my musical preferences, sounds about right. The latest record being the Temptations' 1982 single, "Standing on the Top." In all honesty, this particular song never really did much for me but I thought the history behind it (the return of David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks plus production by Rick James) made it an interesting selection.

I'm a little disappointed that so many classic acts didn't make the cut. I really wanted to include Mary Wells' "The One Who Really Loves You" and the Isley Brothers' take on the Supremes' "I Hear a Symphony" but as I mention in the podcast, there's just so much Motown material out there that it's kind of impossible to pick just 13 songs to epitomize that Motown sound. Particularly if you don't want to sound like one of those dozens of generic "Best of Motown" comps out there. And I was desperately trying to avoid sounding like one of those. I also didn't want to load up too many songs from the same artists. Sure I double up on the Temptations but I felt the songs were different enough, since it's obvious they're from vastly different eras, that it'd be ok. And really, limiting the selections, in an attempt to pick the right song was sort of difficult. Considering that I could easily make entire podcasts devoted to some of these artists, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Smokey, etc.

Anyway, sure, some of the bigger names got passed up and some of the little known acts are in but I think it works. Let me know if you think so too.

Episode 19: The Sound of Young America Tracklist

1. larry's intro
2. "We've Got a Good Thing Going" by Michael Jackson (1972)
3. "Nothing in This World Like My Baby" by the Originals (2005)
4. "It's Growing" by Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers (1968)
5. larry's intro #1
6. "Someday We'll Be Together" by Diana Ross & The Supremes (1969)
7. "Virgin Man" by Smokey Robinson (1974)
8. larry's interlude #2
9. "Go On and Cry" by The Mynah Birds (1966)
10. "I Just Want to Celebrate" by Rare Earth (1971)
11. "Smiling Faces Sometimes" by The Undisputed Truth (1971)
12. larry's interlude #3
13. "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" by The Temptations (1972)
14. "Time" by Edwin Starr (1970)
15. larry's interlude #4
16. "Got to Give It Up" by Marvin Gaye (1977)
17. "Standing on the Top" by The Temptations (1982)
18. larry's interlude #5/outro
19. "Living for the City" by Stevie Wonder (1973)

This month's theme song is "Superstition" by Ahmad Jamal.

No comments: